Crowdfunding platform GiveSendGo is once again up and running after yet another cyberattack against a fundraiser designed to provide funds for a Canadian trucker Freedom Convoy occurred on Sunday.
GiveSendGo put out an officials statement on their social media platforms on Tuesday to address concerns related to the attack.
“We know there are many questions concerning the attacks on GiveSendGo Sunday night,” the statement said.
— GiveSendGo (@GiveSendGo) February 15, 2022
“Sunday evening, February 13th, GiveSendGo was attacked by malicious actors attempting to eliminate the ability of its users to raise funds. There was a broadcasted breech showing one such actor illegally hacking into GiveSendGo and distributing the names and emails of the donors of the Freedom Convoy Campaign. However, no credit card information was leaked. No money was stolen,” the statement read. The company shut down the site to prevent further damage and claims it performed “many security audits” to prevent future attacks.
“GiveSendGo has a dedicated team aggressively focused on identifying these malicious actors and pursuing actions against their cybercrime. At the time of the intrusion, GiveSendGo’s security team immediately shut down the site to prevent further illegal actions against our site. We have also performed many security audits to ensure the security of the site before bringing the site back online,” the statement said. The final words of the statement noted the cyberattack represented more than a technical issue, telling supporters the platform is “in a battle.”
“We are in a battle. We didn’t expect it to be easy. This has not caused us to be afraid. Instead, it’s made it even more evident that we can not back down. Thank you for your continued support, prayers and the countless emails letting us know you are standing with us,” the statement said in conclusion. On Saturday, GiveSendGo said in a report on Twitter that they are still working with different campaign organizers to make sure funds reach the Freedom Convoy.
“The funds from the Freedom Convoy are not frozen contrary to what you might be hearing on the news. GiveSendGo is working with many different campaign organizers to find the most effective legal ways to continue funds flowing,” the company wrote in a post.
Please push this out there: The funds from the Freedom Convoy are not frozen contrary to what you might be hearing on the news. GiveSendGo is working with many different campaign organizers to find the most effective legal ways to continue funds flowing.
— GiveSendGo (@GiveSendGo) February 12, 2022
As of Tuesday, more than $9.3 million in donations have been raised on the platform for the Freedom Convoy. In addition, related fundraisers for Canadian truckers involved in the protests have received strong support.
On Monday, Canadian finance minister Chrystia Freeland announced the Canadian government will use the Emergencies Act invoked by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to block the accounts of those suspected of helping the Freedom Convoy protesters.
Last week, a Canadian court banned GiveSendGo from funding the Freedom Convoy protests, though the organization said it would not follow the ruling. It is unclear how GiveSendGo will respond to the Monday decision, though its statement is clear the platform’s intent is to not back down.
“On Thursday, The Daily Wire reported the Freedom Convoy, a group of more than 50,000 truckers protesting the COVID-19 vaccine mandates and restrictions throughout the Canadian government, raised more than $8 million through the online crowd resourcing platform GiveSendGo after GoFundMe kicked the group off of its own platform last Friday,” The Daily Wire stated in a previous report.
“Know this!” GiveSendGo said in a response posted on Twitter. “Canada has absolutely ZERO jurisdiction over how we manage our funds here at GiveSendGo. All funds for EVERY campaign on GiveSendGo flow directly to the recipients of those campaigns, not least of which is The Freedom Convoy campaign.”