Some medical experts are claiming that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s extremely strict guidelines for summer camps for children are “virtue signaling” at best and “cruel” at worst.
The CDC put out some very strict guidelines for young kids and teenagers who are looking to attend summer camps this year, in order to supposedly stop the spread of COVID-19. However, scientists and other experts have stated that these standards are ignoring the science around the coronavirus and are unnecessarily harsh toward younger people.
JAMA Pediatrics editor-in-chief and epidemiologist Dimitri Christakis said that the rules are “unfairly draconian” and that “keeping children masked for activities like baseball and tennis is ridiculous.”
“We should let kids be close and play, he said. And with rapid testing twice a week on a rolling basis, a relatively easy program to conduct, he added, we should be able to forgo masks. Even without testing, Christakis said that sports like soccer should be able to be done without masks,” New York Magazine said in their report.
Columbia University pediatric immunologist Mark Gorelik said that any rule mandating that children must be masked while outside in 90-degree weather is indefensible.advertisement — content continues below
“We know that the risk of outdoor infection is very low. We know risks of children becoming seriously ill or even ill at all is vanishingly small. And most of the vulnerable population is already vaccinated. I am supportive of effective measures to restrain the spread of illness. However, the CDC’s recommendations cross the line into excess and are, frankly, senseless. Children cannot be running around outside in 90-degree weather wearing a mask. Period,” he said.
An infectious-diseases expert who works for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the agency that is run by Dr. Anthony Fauci, and who has promoted CDC guidelines for summer camps has also criticized the standards.
“With staff and parents vaccinated, there is no reason to continue incredibly strict mitigation efforts or put severe limitations on activities,” the anonymous official went on to explain. “Charitably, masking kids at camp outdoors is simply virtue signaling. Requiring kids to continuously wear masks at camps, even while outside playing in the heat, when it provides little additional protection is unfair and cruel to our children. Considering that children are at incredibly low risk for developing severe illness, the minimal benefits of mask wearing do not outweigh the substantial costs of discouraging children to be active and their overall health.”
Here are a few of the guidelines being pushed by the CDC:
- Wearing masks at all times, with a few exceptions including while eating, swimming or napping. The mask requirement applies to vaccinated staff as well as campers.
- Each camper should have more than one clean mask available every day.
- Establishment, when possible, of cohorts of staff and campers who will stay together throughout the day.
- Minimum distance of 3 feet between campers of the same cohort, 6 feet between everyone else. Cohort members should maintain 6-foot distancing while they are eating and other times when masks are off.
- Campers should be outside as much as possible.
- No mixing or interaction with the general public during trips beyond the camp.
- Adult staffers, family members and any campers or juvenile staffers eligible for the COVID vaccine should get it, with their last shot at least two weeks before arrival at camp.
- Those not vaccinated should be tested before arrival at camp and again three to five days after arrival.
This is getting out of hand. Kids should not have to worry about masks at all. Period. Let alone at a summer camp where they are going to be participating in outdoor activities all day. This is the ultimate power trip.